Oral hygiene in children: Tips and mistakes to avoid
I was talking last time about the age of the first dental consultation, emphasizing that it must happen as soon as possible. Preferably, after the eruption of the first teeth to create a friendly relationship between the child and the dentist's team that will lead to a good collaboration in time. Also, in this way we avoid the fear of the dentist…
TIPS AND MISTAKES TO AVOID
It is crucial not to tell the child about our own anxieties and stories heard or experienced. Because fear, like tooth decay, is contagious!
- We subconsciously transmit to our baby the monsters of our childhood. And we don't want to do that. On the contrary, we want to have brave children and encourage their personality, the tendency to move forward and grow in harmony with healthy habits.
- We must be aware that they will copy us completely. All the more so in terms of body and oral hygiene habits. They will take a shower once a day, as they see us, brushing twice a day, if they see that with their parents and so on.
- It is important to take them to the dentist very early. In order to explain to them in their understanding a brushing technique appropriate to their age and to perpetuate it as the years go by.
- Wherever they go (camps, trips with or without parents), have a toothbrush with them. More importantly, the urge to brush must be in the form of a personal example.
THE BENEFITS OF FRUIT AND VEGETABLES IN ORAL HYGIENE
- Raw fruits and vegetables, in addition to the very beneficial intake of fiber, vitamins and many other great trace elements for our health, lead to a self-cleaning of the teeth.
- While chewing, they rub against tooth surfaces and remove any other sticky debris. In this way the teeth are cleaned
- A beneficial activity: fruits and vegetables stimulate the secretion of saliva, and it also brushes the teeth.
It is equally important to be encouraged to eat strong fruits and vegetables. Likewise, the power of example is capital. But we can adopt other procedures. My children, for example, had a daily to-do list on the fridge when they were little. From tightening the bed, tightening the toys after they have been played, etc. The list also included "eating 2 fruits a day", for which they were bonused every weekend!
So, dear parents, create beneficial habits for your children because that way you will have them as adults with you! I tell you this from the position of mother of 2 adults aged 20 and 22. Believe me, there is no greater satisfaction than some healthy habits that you instilled in your children and that they follow with pleasure, since childhood!
Always remember visits to the dental office
Regular visits to the dental clinic are the best measure for a healthy dentition, without caries and other serious problems.
CLINICA DR. Nassar
HEALTHY TEETH DEVELOPMENT
PLAY TREATMENTS FOR CHILDREN
ZERO PAIN TREATMENTS
CORRECT SPEECH AND MASTICATION
HEALTHY PERMANENT TEETH
Specialist with over 25 years of experience and over 10,000 dental implant operations in USA, Sweden, China, UK, Israel and Romania.