WHO IS IT FOR?
Fixed implant denture is the solution for the patient who was left without any teeth (total edentation) or who has a few more teeth (multiple edentation), and they have an indication for extraction.
Installing a fixed prosthesis on implants is an appropriate solution when:
- Periodontitis is in a very advanced state; the teeth have fallen out or the remaining ones cannot be saved.
- The patient suffers from various ailments (diabetes, alcoholism, chronic cardiovascular disease), but they are stabilized.
- The budget is low and does not cover the cost of the optimal solution for replacing each fallen tooth with an implant.
Replacing all teeth with a fixed prosthesis on implants is a rather expensive operation. However, this option is more advantageous in terms of price compared to the method in which each missing tooth is replaced with an implant.
The advantages of the fixed prosthesis are:
- Allows the final placement of the prosthesis on implants.
- The insertion is fast, in the same session with the extractions or later.
- Eliminates any discomfort in speech and chewing.
- Adaptability and permissiveness for patients with unstabilized pathological diseases and interdiction to the classic implant procedure (diabetes, periodontitis, heart disease);
- Definitely eliminates the discomfort of the mobile prosthesis that requires special maintenance;
- Does not require bone addition, sinus lift or nerve repositioning;
- Much more advantageous than in the case of the method in which each missing tooth is replaced with an implant.
Fixed implant prosthesis is a stable solution compared to mobile implant prosthesis, more economical than the variant in which each missing tooth is replaced with one implant. However, the solution also has disadvantages.
The disadvantages of the fixed prosthesis on implants are:
- Low stability compared to the optimal solution for inserting an implant for each missing tooth
- Bone retraction can progress in the case of teeth not anchored on implants, because they do not stimulate the bone of the mandible / jaw.